Wednesday, October 20, 2010

independent

I'm sure I've already written about this, as I'm sure you already know - I have the same epiphanies over and over. I think. This time, I've taken it to a different level, which I'm sure is the point of the repetition.

Point/Question being:

Do you think you can form your identity without peers or instructors/bosses?


Can one ever be un-influenced and independent of others?
Is there such a thing as "your truest self"?





So far, in my life, I'm finding that I am incredibly influenced and therefore somewhat formed by my peers and those whose opinion I find valuable. (But hold the phone, isn't my opinion original? .... probably not) I am also finding that I am many different people - I change frequently. I don't know if that's because I change based on who I am around, or if I truly have many capacities and facets to my personality.

This is what this whole blog was supposed to be about - being your own person.
That is, after all, why I changed my name to Emmalee. To be my own person.
To form my identity myself - while recognizing (and paying respect) to those who have helped me to form myself this far.
Now I'm lost in my own thoughts.


Here's a concrete thought for you - if that's what you were looking for.
Listen to the new Sufjan Stevens album - Age of Adz.
OH MY GOD. SO GOOD.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

One of my favorite thinkers/philosophers/theorists, Judith Butler, who coincidentally is incredibly hard to understand, has some great work on this subject. I think I agree with her ideas about the delusion of the "true authentic self." Through our lives, our "identity" is comprised of layers and intersections and influences, constantly changing in every instant. can one ever take a moment in time, point to it, and say, "there! that's the REAL ME!"? I don't think so. And I don't think there's any problem with that.