Sunday, November 21, 2010

soothing

in a complicated time, a good friend gave me the best guidance ever, and it was simply rilke. admittedly, I haven't read a ton of it, but what I have challenges and comforts me all at the same time. I recently came across this and thought it far too applicable to something that I think a lot of us are dealing with right now - learning how to live with ourselves. What to accept, what to despise, what to fight, and what to discard without a second thought. It seems as though we all have somewhat of a repetitive theme - a burden or large question that we are trying to find the answer to for ourselves. To somehow be free from ourselves. So, for all of you with questions that keep coming back to haunt or sooth you, to challenge or comfort you, I give you this, just as someone once gave me.


i beg you...to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. do not search for the answers, which could not be given you now, because you would not be able to live them. and the point is, to live everything. live the questions now. perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
-rilke

No comments: