Monday, November 17, 2008

There's a difference between control and stability, but they're often thought of together.

I learned this in my voice lesson today, that I provide a stable environment for singing, and the breath moves through my environment, making things happen that I can now deal with. For me, that was really weird to think about because when playing the violin, I am consciously deciding every motion, stroke, and idea. It made me think about HOW i live my life. I try so dilligently to keep track and control everything by saying no, writing things down, holding people accountable, and using far too much technology. What if I was just so prepared and stable, having my ideas and routines rock hard, that nothing phased me. My existence was mearly a means for executing something perfectly without stress. My brain gets so in the way of achieving so much. Maybe this doesn't make any sense to anyone else, and that's okay with me, because it barely makes sense to me. I am an instrument and life is coursing through me. I believe I'm capable of this. I believe that life would be better and quite possibly richer if I lived my life through that idea.

No comments: