Sunday, November 29, 2009

2 things
1. I like GQ, and I think I want to get a subscription. next time I have money that isn't going towards christmas presents or paying accompanists.
2. i came across something that was just plain puzzling to me in GQ. Puzzling because I both liked and didn't like it at the same time. It was in an interview with Clint Eastwood and it was the last two lines of this poem. In that interview they also said that it was Timothy McVey's last words, so I guess that could lead me to be afraid of the power of these words, therefore not liking them.

7. Invictus
by William Ernest Henley

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance 5
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade, 10
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: 15
I am the captain of my soul.


So in a way, I think that that is a wonderful idea, being the master of your own fate and the captain of your soul, but master and captain seem to be such strong words filled with authority in a negative way. At the same time, I like "captain of soul" because I tend to think of spirit and soul as something separate from my body, something to be driven or guided. something on a journey (which is something I talked about today with someone who's helping me out with my life plans.)

interesting....

No comments: