Saturday, December 27, 2008

about children

I totally love kids, but they don't usually totally love me. I was talking with Mackenzie about this, and kids and animals are just drawn to her and my brothers. I think it's because they grew up taking care of their little siblings whereas I was the little sibling. Children don't hate me or anything, a few children downright LOVE me, but they're not drawn to me like my brothers or Mackenzie.

My cousins are here from Sioux Falls and I really love it. It was a little overwhelming at first, just because I'm so used to being so lazy (I haven't done anything at all for the last three or four days). It takes a lot of work to keep them entertained and busy and especially answer all their questions! I was coming home from shopping with my mom and I was kinda freaking out because I hadn't been mentally preparing myself to deal with kids, and it occured to me that children don't phase my mother ONE BIT. She works with kids every single day, and I think that's awesome. When comparing careers, I had always assumed that the elementary music educators were the less hardcore, less talented musicians that really liked music but didn't want to study it or work on it so much. No, they're not teaching you how to conduct mixed meters or evaluate chord progressions, but they're achieving something. Basic understanding and enjoyment of music is a great thing, especially with children.

Anyway.... Christmas has been really great. I got home and cleaned and made far too much food for our annual brunch. I went to the holidazzle, and made TWO gingerbread houses (one with my cousins last night!) I almost got shot at fleet farm because I couldn't keep my mouth shot. bahahaha. so not true, but people were staring me and that was TOTALLY conceal and carry country. I bought Gloria Estefan's christmas CD. I saw 4 Christmases with my family, which was HILAR. aaaaaaaaand I went shopping with my mom.
and now i'm going to go ice fishing with my cousins. yep. my dad's obsessed with ice fishing, and in my 18 years of existence, this is MY FIRST TIME!
(except I'm only planning on going for a half hour. bahah!)

ps i woke up today to a third grade boy, named Henry, knocking on my head, yelling "WAKE UP!" life is so good!

No comments: