Sunday, March 7, 2010

wise

I was once challenged to describe something as "how it would look in a classroom". and it wasn't something concrete like a design concept. it was my thoughts on respect. I had quoted someone - or made a big decision by making something up for myself - and my professor said, "okay so that sounds good, but what does that look like in a classroom, emmalee?"

he recently challenged me in a new way - though a simple conversation following a recital - and has me thinking about what i will look like in a classroom (or whatever setting I end up in) because of how I spend my time now.

I am just seeing all kinds of problems - with myself, the educational system i subscribe to, the society i operate in, etc.
and i just have to keep saying two words over and over to myself - unspeakably precious.
(from my favorite quote "This natural world is all there is. We are all made of the same material as the stars, but unlike most of the stuff in the universe, we have the astonishing good fortune to be conscious for a short while. We should never stop dancing and singing in the face of that magnificent luck. We are cosmically insignificant, inconceivably unimportant - except to each other, to whom we should therefore be unspeakably precious.")

and
i'm working on seeing what these two lines from a doomtree song look like in my life.

I keep my heart to the sky.
I keep my ear to the ground.

it's always felt so good to me to say these lyrics.
and i want to feel what they feel like.
i want to feel it everywhere - both in my world and body.
i want to see it in myself and my life.
maybe i won't like it, but at least i'll understand it thoroughly through one lense...

No comments: